The WOLips Eclipse plugin sounds pretty impressive!

Yes, keeping the Wicket component hierarchy in sync between the Java
file and the HTML file can be annoying.  (That's one reason I am
intrigued by the Echo2 approach -- treat HTML as machine language and
eliminate it from the application definition completely!)  My approach
for Wicket is to work in terms of panels and to keep the nesting in any
single component or page trivially simple.  (It's analogous to the
principle of keeping function/method definitions short enough to fit on
one screen.)

If you don't like the way Java flattens the component hierarchy with a
series of comp.add(...) instead of tag nesting, you can use nonstandard
indentation to show the hierarchy:

... Build components ...
 page.add(cI);
    cI.add(cIA);