Yes, you are right, I could add the feedback panel to overridden
onError() method of AjaxSubmitButton,
but my code cannot use it (have some custom submit logic).
I use AjaxFormValidatingBehavior, so for now I subclass it and
override onError().
Additionally I have to implement addToAllFormComponents() to use my
overridden class.
This is of cause not a problem.

The question is, why does AjaxFormValidatingBehavior not override
onError() automatically and update the panels same as onSubmit() does?
Does the ajax validation framework have some restrictions regarding
error
handling I am not aware of, or can this method be added to
AjaxFormValidatingBehavior, just for convenience?

Thanks,
Adam