Interesting indeed, but in my case I need exactly the opposite. Geoserver is
an open source WFS server that has recently been restructured as a set
of modules, and I want each module to be totally pluggable, that is, build
the module and drop it in the web application, done.

This works beautifully for services thanks to Spring, and for configuration
web
pages built as Wicket pages (and located thru extension points declared in
the
Spring context), but sometimes we do have "demo" modules that are mostly
(but not completely) made of static pages where javascript talks to server
side services offered by other modules (openlayers and mapbuilder are
examples
of this approach).  I just wanted to make sure I can pacakge those in the
same
way as the other modules, so that when the user does not want them anymore
he only has a jar to remove from its jetty/tomcat deploy.

We are trying to offer an easy to work with server for the user, at the
expense
of some more complications on the programmer side, and yes, we are aware
serving with Apache would be faster, but we leave it to people willing to
do a high perf deploy, at the moment we are more worried to give a smooth
experience to people who are just "trying it out".

Cheers
Andrea Aime