Actually I like this Page/Panel/Border class <-> markup enforcement
because it means there is no magic, it is a very simple rule, it is
very easy to understand. But this of course is my own opinion. If you
come up with an implemention which can be added to wicket-extension,
than it is fine by me. What that means however is that is must not
require any changes to core (such as additional settings etc.) but be
based on existing core hooks. I don't mind adding additional hooks if
required though.

Juergen