Frank frank!

this is bad advice!
don't call the configure method yourself. That shouldn't be done.
Because configure m ethod is always already called
What you should do is set in through the web.xml in deployment mode (or developerment if you always want to be in development mode)
But if you have it in deployment configured. And you want to debug through it now.
Configure tomcat or jetty launcher that it sets a system property

-Dwicket.configuration=DEVELOPMENT

Then by default if you deploy it is in deployment. (no files touched) and in the developer you still have development mode.

johan