i was going to leave comments on your blog, but i dont feel like signing up for blogger.com, maybe you should allow anon comments :)

here are a couple of notes after scanning the manual for the first time

setParam("FROM") and setPram("TO") for paging - do those actually get injected directly into sql? or are they some internal vars you set?

ORMapping should probably support a dialect system like hibernate. it really sucks that it is part of the hierarchy now, because i like to develop on a different database then the one in prod, and it should be simple to swap. seems shades doesnt abstract as much of the db layer as hibernate/ejb3/whatever - i need to code to shades not to my underlying db imho.

the dictionary can be improved by providing builders. new OneToManyBuilder(some params) that will build the string. less chances of typos.

there needs to be a tool that will validate the dictionary against the current schema - prob by retrieving jdbc metadata. because a lot of things in the dict are defined by strings it would be great to know you didnt fat finger something on application startup rather then at some distant runtime.

this definetely gives me the feeling of being much closer to the bare metal, which i think is nice if you want more control - and my favorite part is that you have to explicitly call update() to have your changes persisted :)

on some high high level this reminds me of ibatis, but much more code centric.

i really wish i had a project i could use this on right now to give you more valuable feedback, but i dont :(

-Igor