On 9/12/06, Pierre-Yves Saumont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Matej, I do not understand your point :-( The object does not get
> replicated when a reference to it is stored in the session. So I
> understand point b, but in case no clustering is used, why would there
> be a memory problem? Putting a reference in the session is just a way to
> keep a handle on the  object. Having the reference the session is not
> different from having it anywhere else, as far as memory is concerned.
> Or is it?

That,, of course, depends on where that object comes from and how long
lived it would be if it were not put in the session. For instance, if
you have some objects you get from an ORM (like Hibernate), they
typically only have to exist for a short time, e.g. during a
transaction, interpreting the results of a query, etc. Usually, this
means that such objects live for one request. However, if you
references to such objects in your components or models, they'll live
as long as those components/ models live, which might be for the
duration of the session. But if you would store e.g. only the ids of
those objects, or the query to get them or just a reference to a
service that knows how to get them, you'll use less memory. This is
the main reason we have detachable models.

Replication, like you said, only happens when you run in a cluster
*and* you use http session replication *and* you use http session as
session store (HttpSessionStore) *or* when a server tries to persist
sessions e.g. on shutdown so that on startup it can pick up it's
sessions again.