Just a general comment on this thread, I have added a VersionedForm to
our application which will discover a stale object based on the
version number in the object (using javax.persistence @Version
annotation). I have described this component here:

http://jroller.com/page/dashorst?entry=wicket_goodie_hibernate_versioned_form

(BTW Frank: woogle didn't find this article!)

If a concurrent update has been detected, the form will repopulate
with the values from the database. The user should then re enter the
values (as the previous values were based on old information, the new
data can invalidate his data!).

It doesn't do locking across requests, and has served our purpose. It
may provide you with an alternative.

Martijn

--
Download Wicket 1.2.2 now! New Ajax components: Tree, TreeTable and ModalWindow
-- http://wicketframework.org