> but you have to open each individual message inside the thread.
 > With gmail I can read all responses in one thread by just scrolling
my mousewheel.

This is really a good point.
You loose the conversation this way (i.e. who is answering who) but I
think is better for you, being on the answering side all the time... ;-)
 From a begginer's point of view, I think it's different:
You don't want to read all, you follow a few threads (mainly your
questions).
And from the other threads, you open just the expert's posts, in order
to learn something.
Everything else is noise, so you don't open those (nor scroll through).

Thank you for answering.

-----
Gustavo.