Che,

One thing I have learned is that you learn much more from your errors
than from your successes. The reason is that when you make an error, you
have to figure why it didn't work and how to fix it. When you have
success, you already know the reason: it's just because you are very
good at what you are doing (which is often an error from which you can
learn... much later and at a much higher cost:-(

I think showing what not to do is at least as important (and somtimes
more important) as showing the right way. It's even more important when
the wrong way is the more evident one. As an author, one has to show why
the user should not take this route, rather than just forgetting about
it and let the user discover it later at higher cost.

Even very basic features are concerned. I am sure no one here ever use
the default package. However, I think it is good in an introductory Java
book to put the first HelloWorld class in the default package. It is
then much more evident to explain why one should not do this.

Pierre-Yves