I was talking about the default format for String output, which is
dependent upon the operating system character encoding (I guess 95% use
ISO-Latin-1). Java internal representation of characters is UNICODE
UTF-16 (in fact an obsolete version of this standard) and not UTF-8.
(Dealing with variable length characters for internal representation
would be a programmer's nightmare!)

Using ISO-Latin-1 for ouptut makes sense because ISO-Latin-1 is the same
as UNICODE page 0, thus making the conversion trivial.

Pierre-Yves