That's strange. I've tried wicket examples and the only one that didn't
work was the editable label one, which used get to send the data to
server. All other examples worked for me.

I don't understand why you can't use utf-8 encoding. What has this to do
with your database encoding? In java all strings are internally unicode.
  How does encoding of your html pages and urls affects your database?

-Matej