The reason why locale switching using ajax link on datepicker is, that
ajax header contribution is for performance reasons done only once per
component instance (until the entire page is refreshed).
The reason is reduce amount of data sent to browser on every ajax call.

The Unicode problem also happens when using datepicker without ajax
header contribution? Because during header contribution the javascript
file is retrieved using an xmlhttprequest. There is no way how to
specify encoding in javascript, is it? Maybe we could send encoding in
the header from server, but how do we detect it?

Datepicker is an external component. There are all kinds of trouble with
it, it definitely wasn't built with header contribution in mind, but we
are working to support is as good as we can.

Does the "String constant not closed" error happens for all locales, or
only for specific one?

-Matej