dont believe a benchmark that you haven't faked yourself....

but serious: 99% of all time you have no choice. The DB isnt part of your
app, you are forced to connect to a legacy one and personally I havent heard
of DB4O beeing as mighty as a clustered oracle wich can get up to thousands
of tables holding terabyte of data...

Also, the fact they arent showing any details of the implementantion doenst
make me believe this is to be looked at serious. Wich version of Hibernate?
How did they Batch-Queries ? What caching provider and strategy? etc, etc,
etc.

I'm currently working on a data-transfer app - transferring from a very old
legacy DB into a new one where nothing stays same and i use JPA 1.0 with
ToplinkEssentials. By just changing some things the time needed to convert
1750 things went from 7:10 min to 3:50 min. Also the getting of these 1750
entities and 3 corresponding entities each (3 x 1750) and transforming them
into a single string to print out just takes 830 ms (including the
transaction around all that) on my dev laptopt from a plain MySQL 5.0 (plain
means untweaked) DB. (the laptop is a 1,8 GHZ centrino, 1 GB RAM, running at
that time NB5.5. Dev, Some instances of firefox, DB2 v 9.1, PostgreSQL 8.0,
MySQL4.1, MySQL5.0 as well as 30 other things like outlook...)

And i also dont believe that we can get rid of RDBMs in any companie as they
have proved to be good at their work, so we will have to use ORM, no matter
if we like it or not. JPA 1.0 however is a great step towards, unifieing
(hows that written correct??) access and introducing solo-query batch
updates and deletes as well as the possibilitie to switch the implementation
from one framework (e.g.: hibernate) to another (e.g: kodo) by just changing
2 lines in persistence.xml... as well as afterward tweaking if you need so.

Regards

Korbinian