Hi Stefan,

as far as i know JPA is a big part of the new JEE5 world, so it will never
drop out completely. And since it by the basics is just a description of
interfaces and way to work (basically) the implementation you use isnt tied
to sun. You may use Toplink if you want, or Hibernate or Kodo.. or any other
framework that implements it.
Even if you just want to use only Hibernate, tying it behind JPA is a big
plus and makes many things easier (for example, you dont need to take care
for a SessionFactory in Hibernate in JEE since a simple annotation is enough
to get a EntityManager - and so you dont have to mess around yourself. Need
a transaction ? just another annotation over the Method and youre fine).

If you want to have a start , get the NetBeans 5.5 RC1 and Download
GlassFish EE Server (Version 1) and you have all you need (incl. Toplink
Essentials as ORM bridge for JPA)

Regards,

Korbinian

PS: spring is a part, that i dont like myself because i hate XML config
files and this whole messing around with them.