that click on an item is an ajax request?
That shouldnt make a page version as far as i know
If you have a simple example please make a bug report .

you should call: page.setVersioned(false)
if you don't want that page to be versioned.
Or better if you disable versioning on the tree (tree.setVersioned(false)) does the error then occur?

johan