Hello Johannes,

that's a good topic you've got here...

I agree to Korbinian that locking out IPs is a bad idea. One could
extend that to the combination of username/IP, but that could be worked
around with a more sofisticated script.

What do you think about logging false logins on a per-user basis, and
delay the response after the first false attempt by a couple of seconds
until another valid login for that user happened? I think the Linux
shell login works like that.

Or, one could lock an account completely after say three false attempts,
and send an email to the user with a link to unlock it again.

.rue