I agree that this is a poor solution to a problem that should really be
solved on the client. I am currently investigating the use of a queue to
serialize effects around the replacement.

http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/EffectQueues
http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/EffectQueues

-MT