If you look at the Tree and DefaultAbstractTree classes, you can see a
bunch of overidable, protected methods. Usually in Wicket, if there is
a non-final protected method, it is there for you to override if you
need to (we'd either make it final or private if not).

Now, I'm not sure what you want to achieve... you are using the tree
component right? The Tree in core version 1.2 (moved to extensions for
2.0) has method newNodePanel for this. The tree in extensions version
1.2 (moved to core for 2.0) has methods like populateTreeItem for
this.

Maybe you could give a more detailed explanation of what you want to do?