I just tried this jdk:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/eclipse/

This is J9 from IBM which is java5 jdk as far as i can see.

And what that jdk can do is method additions!
In my first simple test i could rename a method in a class and re factor all
the calls to it. And the next time i just jumped into that method.

johan

DevLoader doesn't do that work. DevLoader is there for you to be able to
have a Web application of your project that has libs and references to
other projects
and see those if they where in the WEB-INF/lib dir.. We replace the
classloader of tomcat to be able to load jars from other places.

about the original question: Why can tapestry do this and wicket doesn't?
thats easy. The component structure of tapestry is not stored in the
session. So when that happens you can make a classloader per component or
per page.
And when a request comes in for that page. (getting it back from the pool)
you first check and reload the classes for that page. And then give it back
to request
that then stores the state back in.

This can't be done by wicket. Because wicket stores it in the session. and
at the moment you do that you can never do that because everything that is
in the session
should be loaded by the application servers webapp classloader. If not
everything failes (clustering/fail over you name it)

We also can't improve the DevLoader (that is the webapp classloader in
development in tomcat) because when you reload the classes you have to make
sure that all
instances of that class are also first unloaded (serialized and then
reloaded back in with the new classloader/classes) But this is again not
really possible in wicket
because the components can be everywhere.

No we have to wait for improved hotswap code of hotspot. Which is in my
eyes LONG overdue!
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=572396&messageID=4153535

johan