I came to the same conclusion as Nino. What I have observed was this,

1. For,

ListChoice selection = new ListChoice("disciplineSelection", new Model(),
disciplines)

, a list box is created in the web page.

2. For,

ListChoice selection = new ListChoice("disciplineSelection", disciplines)

, a dropdown box is created in the web page.

3. For,

ListChoice selection = new ListChoice("disciplineSelection",
disciplines);selection.setMaxRow(8);

,  a list box is created in the web page.

I find it strange because I used ListChoice instead of DropDownChoice but
yet it shows a dropdown box instead of a list box for case no. 2. Is it a
bug or am I missing something? Btw, there are 2 items in my discipline list.
Thanks