As you write ListChoice are no longer invoked. The ajax event are called afaik
after all updates of model has occurred. I actually changed my coding style
after this and began using abstract models, its actually much easyer coding
this way, and all of your components will be ajax prepaered...:)

Heres a code sniplet of what I do:

                dropdown.add(new AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior("onchange") {
                        public CharSequence getCallbackUrl() {
                                // hack since url is not encoded and so will
fail xhtml
                                // validation
                                String s = getCallbackUrl(true).toString();
                                return s.replaceAll("&wicket", "&wicket");
                        }

                        protected void onUpdate(AjaxRequestTarget target) {
                                AJAXpopulatepaletteList();
                                if (submit) {
                                        target.addComponent(paletteSubmit);
                                        if (addit) {
                                                Iterator iter =
additional.iterator();
                                                while (iter.hasNext()) {

target.addComponent((Component) iter.next());
                                } else {
                                        target.addComponent(palette);
                                        if (addit) {
                                                Iterator iter =
additional.iterator();
                                                while (iter.hasNext()) {

target.addComponent((Component) iter.next());
                });