actually when you override wantonselectionchangednotification() it is not an
ajax request, it is a regular request that repaints the page.

checkgroupselector was made to select checkboxes on the clientside only
exclusively, if you want to do it via a roundtrip it is actually simple

add a checkbox with wantonselectionchangednotification() set to true, and in
the handler add all the possible model objects into the collection that
controls the checkgroup, so when the page repaints next all checkboxes will
be selected for you

-igor