Experience with creating a "databinding" API... hmmm...

Hey, there's actually an implementation of DataView paging using
criteria here:
http://databinder.net/site/show/baseball-players
(sorry I haven't kept up with my listserv reading)

So, I wonder what could be done in terms of generic databinding that
would make everyone happy. I kind of think it is impossible, just
because people have such different opinions about it, and those opinions
are always in flux. I'm certainly interested in someday supporting
Cayenne through Databinder, but it will be a pretty major refactor, and
even then I don't see it being possible (or desirable) to abstract-out
the differences between persistence libraries in any particular layer.
Instead you might have flavors of the toolkit that work similarly, and
share common interfaces where possible and useful.

As for scaffolding / beanviews or whatever... the problem is those
things never support complicated (but common) relations between objects.
Rails scaffolding when I last checked was a one-table-only affair. So as
much as that functionality looks good in demos, it has no use at all if
your minimally useful datamodel already has basic connections in it.

Nathan