and how do they that then? Do you program in your code something like:

while(dosomemorestuff)
{
 // do something more
}

and then by another request you set that boolean that it needs to be
stopped?

this does not really work currently because we lock the session, so that
nobody have to worry
about multi threading.

But you can go around it. Do that long request in an own request and poll
with ajax when it is finished
Or when you want to abort it. make a call to a shared resource... (thats not
synched) and then set the flag that it needs to stop.

johan