We have found a pretty weird situation with "too many open files" error on
our alpha-testing site. Further analysis showed that on each page refresh
the following resources get repeatedly obtained from the wicket's .jar and
add to the number of open files:
   'wicket/ajax/wicket-ajax.js'
   'wicket/extensions/ajax/markup/html/modal/res/modal.css'
   'wicket/extensions/ajax/markup/html/modal/res/modal.js'
   'wicket/extensions/markup/html/tree/res/tree.css'
   'wicket/extensions/markup/html/tree/res/tree.js'

Eventually (due to garbage collection?) the number of open files goes down
again. But we wanted to know why those files stayed open in the first place
and were not closed upon retrieving a resource.

It looks like switching to the "deployment" mode from "development" one
would significantly reduce the peak numbers of the open files/streams to
wicket .jar-s, and extracting resources from the .jar would reduce it even
better. We were told that the original reason for files staying open is a
Java bug (the fact that URLConnection doesnt have a .close), which causes
those nasty results when combined with development mode trying to monitor
[resource] files for changes and reloading them.

We were also told that there is a workaround for that problem in SVN
somewhere, but it's probably not backported to 1.2.5 . I have 2 questions in
that regard:
(1) Where can we find those workarounds in the code?
(2) Is it too much work to backport them to 1.2.5 so when it's released it
doesn't contain the problem?

Thanks,
Bob.