On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, nilo de roock wrote:
> like to use for writing a functional regressing test. But I don't think
> WicketTester was meant for that in the first place, more as a TestCase
> helper. I suppose Wicket still needs more whitepapers, tutorials, books,

For me, WicketTester works best for low-level whitebox
developer testing of individual components or interactions
between a couple of components. I have experienced the
abstraction leaking a bit (in 2.0) and being unable to test
some things, such as some ajax functionality. (These I just
test with Wicket Bench then, see below.)

> At the end of the day a user receives html and javascript a point where it
> should be invisible wether this has been generated by either Wicket or plain
> vanilla Servlets. I have been looking at some test frameworks. I have no
> experience with either of them, but Canoo WebTest looks to what I had in
> mind.

As WebTest is based on HttpUnit / HtmlUnit, it suffers from
their limitations, the greatest of which I think is the fact
that it uses "non-browser" javascript implementation. The
last time I used HttpUnit (jWebUnit really) a couple of
years back, I just had to turn javascript off as it choked,
though I have heard that it would have improved since then.

jWebUnit is a nice higher-level abstraction layer on top of
HttpUnit, but still doing everything with java as opposed
to XML (WebTest).

I find Selenium RC a lot more promising for this stuff

http://svn.openqa.org/fisheye/viewrep/~raw,r=HEAD/selenium-rc/trunk/clients/java/src/test/java/com/thoughtworks/selenium/GoogleTest.java

and with Wicket Bench (WicketBenchTestCase), you can use it
to test-drive individual Wicket components against a real
browser

http://svn.laughingpanda.org/svn/wicket-bench/trunk/wicket-bench-test/src/test/java/test/DictionaryPanelTest.java

This complements WicketTester nicely.

With Selenium IDE, you can record Selenium RC java (or other
language) code, which is good for the cases when you can't
figure out what kind of Selenium code would emulate the user
interaction you want.

- Timo

--
Timo Rantalaiho