I've posted this as a reply to another thread but I think it deserves a
thread of its own.
What happens is that I'd like to show and hide a label by setting switch
between setVisible(true) and setVisible(false) when clicking on a
AjaxFallbackLink. I've wrapped the label inside a WebMarkupContainer to make
this doable. Here is the code:

public BasePage() {
        final WebMarkupContainer table = new WebMarkupContainer(this,
"tableId");
        table.setOutputMarkupId(true);
        final Label label = new Label(table, "labelId", "This is a label");
        label.setOutputMarkupId(true);
        label.setVisible(false);

        new AjaxFallbackLink(this, "linkId") {
               private static final long serialVersionUID =
5523627214368899839L;
              @Override
                       final boolean visible = label.isVisible();
        label.setVisible(!visible);
                      target.addComponent(table);
             }
       };
}

When I click on the AjaxFallbackLink the first time everything is fine, the
label (with wicket id "labelId") gets visible. But when I click the link
again to make it invisible, I get a NullPointerException when executing
label.setVisible(..). Debugging down into the wicket source code tells me
that the NullPointerException occurs on 327 in class Page, when it tries to
execute "versionManager.componentStateChanging(change)". However
versionManager is null. Why is this? Is this a bug or am I doing something
wrong?

Thanks