Thanks Igor.  This really helped, and along the way I realized I missed a
few fundamentals.  One more question below:

d) Now I am iterating using ListView.  How exactly do I initialize the
> ListView so that it uses the "installed" detachable model?

what do you mean? you just pass it into the constructor.

Ok I get it.  Also, when you do "getModel()" Wicket will search upwards the
component hierarchy right? So it does not matter even if you are on a child
panel within the page or something, yes?

e) While rendering each row of the ListView, how do I initialize Labels so
> that they in turn get the right chunk of the detachable model?

just what you did above  - new PropertyModel(item.,getModel(), "name");
or if you use PropertyListView just add(new Label("name")) :)

Yep.  Honestly was not aware of PropertyListView and will look into that as
well.

f) And suppose I have a Label that has to be derived by say some string
> concatenation or formula and OGNL notation will not work.  Will new
> Label("foo", fooModel.getFoo() + "bar")kind of hardcoding conflict in
> some subtle way with the concept of detachable models?

write a simple model

private static class foomodel extends abstractreadonlymodel {
  private final imodel wrapped;
  public foomodel(imodel wrapped) { this.wrapped=wrapped; }
  public object getobject() { return wrapped.getobject()+"bar"; }
  public void detach() { wrapped.detach(); // important }
}

you do this a lot, so it is very helpful to create a superclass of the
above that helps with setting and detaching. i leave that as an excercise to
you.

Thanks,  will try that out!

- Peter.