At the risk of pointing out the obvious,

1) Make sure you're not including a component in your AjaxRequestTarget
that might be invisible (i.e. not in the DOM) when the response is received.

2) Double check that any component added to your AjaxRequestTarget has a
markup id.

I'm just now getting up to speed with Wicket and the only ajax problems
I've run into have been due to simple mistakes like the above or
problems on the Java side of things (although I haven't done anything
terribly advanced).

I'm anxious to hear if you can find the source of the problem...

-Ryan