I'm sorry to hear you don't find the API as obvious. DropDownChoice
seems to be one of the larger offenders usually, though there haven't
been any good suggestions about how to improve this either. Speaking
of which... patches and concrete suggestions are more helpful than
rants as you can imagine. We're pretty open to suggestions in general.

add(new DropDownChoice("gated", model, { {"&", "AND"}, {"|", "OR"}});

How would that work together with the model? Just set AND or OR as the
model value?

Eelco