To speak as an end-user:

> 1) Who uses 2.0 for serious projects?
We use 2.0 in a serious project for mobile patient data acquisition. We plan
the rollout for about next week (despite wicket 2.0 is not even in beta status).

> 2) What do you think of the constructor change? Do you prefer 1.3's
We prefer the 2.0 constructor. At the first sight it looked a little bit
strange.  The 1.3 style felt much more "java like", having an object and
activationg a method of this object instead of just creating new objects with
no anchor (no variable addressing the newly created object). But the discussion
about the advantages was convincing and after using it for some months now, the
top down style was very usefull.

> 3) If we would ever backtrack on the constructor change (*if*, don't panic
> for now) how much trouble would that give you?
I don't believe that this would be a real problem. The task consists for
changig changing

   new Component(this

into

   this.add(new Component

in most cases. But I was convinced of the advantages that the new constructor
has and the question is now
1. Are the proposed advantages no longer advantages
2. Does the new constructor make anything impossible that was possible with the
old style contructor?
3. What does the wicket 1.x users prevent to switch to the 2.0 style that goes
beyond a simple syntax change?

Stefan Lindner

<<winmail.dat>>