Regarding the constructor change in 2.0,
in some of my components (in wicket 1.2) I used wicket 2.0 type constructor
where i could pass null as the parent.
In such a scenario I would have to add the child components explicitly.

When i passed a non-null value to the constructor the component would
be auto added by the parent.

In addition regarding the use for generics in IModels, I liked that idea a
lot. That helps simplify coding a lot, removing unnecessary type
casts for model Object all the time.