Hi,

It looks like the discussion around reverting the constructor change
that we did for 2.0 has cooled down. This email is not a vote yet, but
a summary of opinions so far[1]. Those of you Wicket committers who
didn't have your say yet (Juergen, Frank, Gwyn, Janne, Jan, Ate), I
consider that an OK for reverting. If not, please reply to the thread.
Juergen, you have been working on 2.0 quite a bit. Can you please
state your opinion, and can you tell us whether there are more
functional differences between 1.3 and 2.0 other than the constructor
change, Java 5 features, the attach/ detach change and improved models
and validators?[2]

I think so far we can safely say reverting is supported broadly. At
least, of the people who reacted, most stated they actually preferred
add over the new constructor, and those who were either neutral or had
a slight preference for the new constructor would still support
reverting as that would keep the momentum for the project going.

So, it looks like this may happen. But we'll vote about that in a few
days. Before we do that, we have to reach consensus on the package
we'll vote on. We have some different - and strong - opinions[3] so we
need to find a way to bridge that. Here are what I think the different
opinions:

a) focus on stabilizing 1.3 first, meanwhile keep supporting 2.0
(though only for bugfixes). 1.4 will be the release with backports of
the currently missing 2.0 features, and 1.5 will be 1.4 + the Java 5
features (including generics).

b) as a) but rather than developing 1.3 up to a final release, freeze
asap (only fix bugs) and start on 1.4

c) put all backports except for the Java 5 features in 1.3 after the
beta1 release (which we agreed upon doing this weekend). 1.4 will be
for the Java 5 features, and the branch should be started as soon as
1.3 is feature complete.

Maybe the most constructive way to gather opinions here is to first
let people plainly state what they prefer before we enter discussion
mode. So, please state what package you think is the best idea (or
introduce d if you want), and why.

Cheers,

Eelco

[1]