I have an implementaion of IDataProvider. that has setters in it and
originally i used it like a model. however the properties have now been
changed to beans. can i still use what you say below? does that populateItem
go into my implementaion of dataView?

in other words,

Imodel myModelwhichImplementsIDataProvider = new
PropertyModel(item.getModel(),"user")//user is the name of the user property
in myModelwhichImplementsIDataProvider.

-B