>From a quick glance, it looks like you missed a setOutputMarkupId:
(apologies for formatting)

 ListView lw = new ListView("listView", new PropertyModel(this, "rows")){
                        @Override
                        protected void populateItem(ListItem item) {
                                WebMarkupContainer updatingPanel = new
WebMarkupContainer("updatingPanel");
                                updatingPanel.add(new
AjaxSelfUpdatingTimerBehavior(Duration.seconds(5)));

//=======================

updatePanel.setOutputMarkupId(true);

                                Label label = new Label("value", new
PropertyModel(WicketTestingAjaxQuery.this, "random"));
                                label.setRenderBodyOnly(true);
                                updatingPanel.add(label);
                                item.add(updatingPanel);
                        }