if you dont grasp the concepts perhaps you should read the wiki page on
models

the concept is:

since the checkbox works by setting/clearing a boolean the model translates
a set boolean->insert into collection and clear boolean->remove from
collection.

there is explanation there, try to read that too, not just look at the code.

-igor