> Okay, here's my opinion:
>
> People have been using Wicket for years now and this is the first bug
> of this type I have heard of.  I am very reluctant attempt any sort of
> generic framework-level "fix" to the semantics of Java object
construction
> (regardless of how anyone feels about the practices defined by the
JLS).

All OO languages share similar semantics of object construction and the
same issues arise when attempting to use partially constructed objects
in any of them so it's not an issue specific to Java object
construction.

It's a 20 year old problem that has been solved time and time again in
many different OO languages and different frameworks by using a two
phase initialization pattern but if you've found a way to fix the
getVariation issue without resorting to a two phase initialization
pattern then that's great - let me at it!!! Like I said, that's the only
issue I need to have fixed right now.

> Java objects construct the way that they do and we use Java object
> constructors because we like that simplicity.  Your bug is reported
and
> will be fixed.

Any time schedule for that?

"Back in my day we didn't need Tapestry, or Wicket or WebObjects, or
even Servlets, or for that matter Java! We just coded in plain assembly
language. And before that we had to just type in 1's and 0's. Sometimes
we didn't even have 1's. I once had to code for an entire month,
barefoot, in the dead of winter, using just 0's... but you didn't hear
me complaining."