> as far as i understand i would have to create panels for each type in the
> descriptor. but how should the starting point be used? having a listview and
> add
> different panels?

Yep. ListView or Repeaters. Feed it a list of objects that are
translated from the XML model. And you really should have object
counter parts of those XML elements.

> how could groups be handled

You can make group panels as well. Basically, create a panel for each
dynamic entity that matters in the context of the UI.

> - how would the content in a recursion be updatable.

As long as your form components are nested in a form, Wicket will take
care of the updating. So, it doesn't matter how deep the recursion
goes.

For a very simple example of recursion with Wicket, see the 'nested'
example of wicket-examples.

i'm quite lost in such a complex scenario with wicket. i
> guess i've been in the wrong programming model for quite a while... ;-)

Something like this would make a very nice (and needed) example
actually. If someone is up to it, it would be great to have the basis
for such an example, so everything except for the actual Wicket code
in a simple fashion without introducing extra dependencies. We'll be
happy to contribute the Wicket code then.