This works since first/last use one method and prev/next use a different one.
Good enough for me. Many thanks for your help. My final class looks like
this:

public class MyPagingNavigator extends AjaxPagingNavigator {
  public MyPagingNavigator(String name, IPageable pageable) {
    super(name,pageable);
  }

  //Kills first/last links
  protected Link newPagingNavigationLink(final String id, final IPageable
pageable, final int pageNumber) {
    final Link link = super.newPagingNavigationLink(id, pageable,
pageNumber);
    link.setVisible(false);
    return link;
  }

  //Kills 1 2 3 4 5
  protected PagingNavigation newNavigation(final IPageable pageable, final
IPagingLabelProvider labelProvider) {
    final PagingNavigation nav = super.newNavigation(pageable,
labelProvider);
    nav.setVisible(false);
    return nav;

class mynav extends ajaxpagingnavigator {

newnavigation(...) {
// hide the 1 2 3 4
 return super.newnavigation(..).setvisible(false);
}

newpagingnavigationlink(..) {
//hide first last
return super.newpagingnavigationlink(..).setvisible(False);

thats all you want right? you will be left with only < >

-igor