Ah! Well, that's easy. Don't add a label, but a AtributeBehavior (or one of
its subclasses):

template:
default value

Java:
add(new WebMarkupContainer("text").add(new AttributeAppender("class", new
Model("red_border"), " ")));

Result:
default value

I have no knowledge of a way to access the text that is in the template.

Regards,
     Erik.