After a bit of mucking around, I essentially did just that--copy
NavigatorLabel's behavior, but with a PageableListView instead of a
DataTable. To do so I abandoned my separate first/last/total components in
favor of a simple constructed String: "1-10 of 100". The code looks
something like this:

  MyPagerPanel(final String id, final PageableListView view) {
    super(id);

    add(new PagerCountsLabel("pagerCounts", view));
    add(new MyPagingNavigator("pager", view));
  }

    PagerCountsLabel(final String id, final PageableListView view) {
      super(id, new AbstractReadOnlyModel() {

        public Object getObject(Component component) {
          final int first = view.getStartIndex() + 1; //Start at 1, not
zero.
          final int total = view.getList().size();
          final int last = Math.min(total, first + view.getRowsPerPage());

          return first + "-" + last + " of " + total;
        }
      });
    }

Panel looks something like this:

    [1-10 of 100]

what i meant was see how it constructs the message. it overrides
model.getobject(), which is called everytime the component needs to render.
you should read the models page on the wiki.

-igor