Like Johan said, the typical case is to provide your own custom
session. You'll have strongly typed variables that way and that's the
whole idea users being able to provide their own in the first place.

Metadata is intended for framework-like use. When you don't know/
don't want to force clients into using concrete session classes, you
can use metadata for instance to store authorization information etc.