yes, this a valid comment. The <html> component is causing the
problem. The header contribution code has obviously been designed in a
way that it expects to be the very first contribution to the pages
output markup. With the html component it no longer is, since the
<head> section.

Though the most obvious approach doesn't right now, it is not a show
stopper for you, since you can add the HeaderContributor to any other
component of your page (except the page) and it'll work, correct?

Juergen