(I started moving myself to the other list but am not quite there yet)

Empirically, it looks like there might have been a change in behavior
from 1.2, but I couldn't verify that on
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/migrate-13.html --

if you're writing custom javascript (in this case an arbitrary form
element that needs to submit a hidden form for an ajax interaction),
is there a way that preserves the id as set in the .html
wicket:id="XYZ" as the HTML element's id? In this case, when the .html
is processed by Wicket, the resulting id is something like "XYZ6"

Googling on
  wicket getElementById
it seems that might be deprecated for javascript inside Wicket,
there's that Wicket.$(id) syntax instead? But I couldn't find
documentation on that, and both getElementById() and Wicket.$() worked
with "XYZ6" but not the original XYZ.

Pointers to the documentation I wasn't able to find appreciated as
well as direct advise and or corrections of assumptions ...

Thanks!