Thanks for help. I started again but it did not work.
I followed this simple guide and it helped me:

http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2007/07/wicket_source_to_eclipse_using.html
It told me that I need 'mvn install' first in the root dir.
Seems to work now.
I also looked at the beta3 archive downloaded from apache, copied
wicket-examples outside and this is the base for my little app now. It
compiles, opens in eclipse, creates war file (mvn package), also starts
quickly from eclipse (using jetty - start as Java application on the 'Start'
class).

Another happy starter.

Darek

On Saturday, July 28, 2007, 10:28:34 AM, Dariusz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I downloaded the beta2 version, but cannot easily create a starter
> project.
> There is some artifact to build an initial project:
>     archetypes/quickstart
> but following the archetypes/README.txt file does not work.

What errors are you getting?

> I try to build wicket from trunk (just checked out from repository):
>    mvn install  (or 'mvn mackage')
> but I only get exceptions:

> c:\projectsWicket\wicket-trunk>mvn package
> [INFO] Scanning for projects...
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] FATAL ERROR
> [INFO]
> Project ID: org.apache.wicket:wicket-jdk14:pom:null
> Reason: Cannot find parent: org.apache.wicket:wicket-parent for project:
> org.apache.wicket:wicket-jdk14:pom:null for project
> org.apache.wicket:wicket-jdk14:pom:null

That suggests you've only checked out the trunk\wicket sub-folder, not from
the
top-level, which is where the wicket-parent pom lives.

> I tried to search for some tutorial on how to build 1st project in 1.3,
> but
> found none.
> Yes, there are many statements how exciting framework it is, but no real
> help.

Well, you're probably close - it's not really that different from 1.2,
which is why there's nothing standing out as a 1.3-specific startup
guide.

> I know I may look at the examples in 1.3, and build something by hand,
> copy
> all JAR files, etc. But since maven is used in the core of Wicket, why
> can't
> I simply use maven to do that for me?

That's what the archetype should do, but you've not told us what issue
you have with that.

/Gwyn