Widelands is the most heavy-weight application I have ever used (off-work, that
is), by a wide margin. My computer is just slow, CPU-wise. It only hurts when
working with widelands, in all other cases I prefer my
no-moving-parts-except-in-the-keyboard approach. It is faster than
raspberrypi.. Normal computers make horrible sounds. To be honest, I have
considered buying a normal computer just to speed WL (both game and
compilation) up.

I do not think that any software solutions can overcome that. Turning some
optimizations off in debug builds might help.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/fix-bug-1208130/+merge/179293
Your team Widelands Developers is subscribed to branch