> How would that be easier in Python or C++?

Let's leave c++ out of the picture for now as we are scripting mostly in Python
in Widelands. Bash is just a stupid language with many pitfalls: just two quick
ones that have bitten me are not setting pipefail [1] and not calling functions
correctly.

Also, bash is terrible about code reuse: figuring out if we are in the project
root could be pulled out in reused in our python scripts, in bash we have to
write it ever again. Python will also throw runtime errors on everything -
guaranteeing that a script exits. Adding flags to a script is easier in python
and the interaction with other programs is more explicit through the subprocess
module than in bash.

Basically Python is less error-prone and easier to extend. But I am not asking
you to redo the script, just in the future default to using python instead bash
- basically there is never a reason to write bash.

[1] https://sipb.mit.edu/doc/safe-shell/

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/validate-translations/+merge/305758
Your team Widelands Developers is subscribed to branch