> I would have to write a lot of Zeros to the file

Why do you think that? If you want 1 value, write 1 value.

> For example you could take the decisions contained in empire 4 (How to deal
> with the monastry) or fri02 (peace Option or war Option) you could easily use
> these decisions in follow on scenarios as well and they are just local
> variables.

We can have a "general" section here like Nordfriese suggested, with as many
string_key = string_value pairs as you want. Or maybe even better, a section
"booleans" or "decisions" for decisions, and section "strings" for general
strings? At the moment, I don't wee he need for strings though.

Using just 1 long string that you then need to parse in Lua sounds pretty hacky
to me. Since this is a new design, we should take the time to design it
properly. This way, we won't have to change it later and write compatibility
code or break savegame compatibility. It will take longer now, but experience
with this project has shown me that we will benefit greatly from a proper data
structure.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/campaign_data/+merge/343783
Your team Widelands Developers is requested to review the proposed merge of