Yes, I'm creating the patches from the files.

For example, if you have a 'new' source code file with changes that were made to the 'old' source code file, I create the patch file with [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_(Unix) ]:

diff old.f new.f > my.patch

So the patch just contains the text differences between the two files (old.f and new.f).

So I used SRC_symmetso/clmchange.f in the original WIEN2k 14.2 archive (WIEN2k_14.2.tar). I saved the clmchange.f attachment from the post [ http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg12361.html ] as clmchange_new.f.

Then, I generated the patch with:

diff clmchange.f clmchange_new.f > clmchange.patch

This can be convenient, because the -b option can be used to create a backup of the original file or -R can be used to reverse the changes when using patch [ http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man1/patch.1.html ].

If you are managing a large set of patches, there is also quilt [ http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man1/quilt.1.html ].